It’s super simple to make wild rice in your Instant Pot! You only need three ingredients: wild rice, water, and salt to get perfectly cooked wild rice in less than an hour!
Wild rice is a staple in our home. As Minnesotans and descendants of the White Earth Nation, we take pride in the fact that wild rice is mainly harvested in the Great Lakes region (most specifically northern Minnesota). It’s such a nourishing food and a great addition to meals.
But, if you’re like me, you probably already have too many appliances in your kitchen. So adding another one (such as a rice cooker) is just not happening! One appliance I’m super grateful to have is my Instant Pot!
I’ve had mine for years and it has come in handy for so many different recipes such as yogurt, soups, cooking meats, potatoes–you name it! So when I was working on my cranberry wild rice bread, I knew I needed a simple way to cook the wild rice without watching the stove the entire time.
And wham–my Instant Pot wild rice recipe was born. Simple and uncomplicated, you’re going to want to keep this recipe on hand for your future rice-making!
If you’re looking for another great wild rice recipe, check out this crockpot chicken wild rice soup.
Why This Recipe Works
- Perfect to Set it and Forget it – This recipe is as simple as pouring the ingredients in, pushing the pressure cooker to 30 minutes, and allowing it to slow release for another 20 minutes.
- Simple Ingredients – All you need is wild rice, water, and a pinch of salt!
- Great for Tons of Recipes – Chicken wild rice soup, as a side dish, in stuffed peppers, or hotdishes. The possibilities are endless!
- Dry wild rice – rinsed. You could also use this Instant Pot recipe for wild rice blend.
Step 1: Rinse the wild rice before pouring it into the Instant Pot. Add the water, salt, and wild rice to the Instant Pot.
Step 2: Pressure cook the rice for 30 minutes. Note that it will take 10-15 minutes to pressurize before it starts to cook!
Step 3: After it’s finished the 30 minutes of cook time, allow it to slow release for 20 minutes before opening the lid. Fluff the wild rice up with a fork. It’s now cooked and ready to enjoy or add to recipes!
- Instant Pot
- Mesh Strainer (to rinse the wild rice)
- Measuring Cups
Top Tips for Cooking the Best Wild Rice in the Instant Pot
- To avoid the wild rice getting mushy, make sure to stick to the 1:1 wild rice and water ratio. Follow the instructions below in the recipe card to avoid the rice overcooking.
- If you’re making a savory dish or eating it as a side, feel free to add some extra spices or seasonings such as garlic powder or chili powder depending on the flavor you’re looking for.
- Fluff the rice gently with a fork once it’s cooked. Avoid stirring it vigorously because this can affect the texture of the wild rice.
Store leftover wild rice in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. If freezing, store in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 2 months.
To reheat, add a bit of water to bring moisture back into the rice.
Absolutely! Feel free to use chicken broth or beef broth in place of the water. This will give it more flavor–especially if you are adding it to a savory dish. If there is already salt in the broth, omit the salt that is called for this recipe.
I don’t recommend it. The slow release allows the wild rice to finish cooking and soak up the excess water.
It’s 1:1. This differs from the ratio of cooking on the stove or in a rice cooker.
Nope! But do make sure to rinse it before cooking in the Instant Pot. This not only cleans the rice but also removes surface starch from the rice grains. If they’re not removed, the rice grains can get a gummy texture once cooked.
How to Make Wild Rice in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot
- 1 cup wild rice washed
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add the rice to a mesh strainer and rinse it with water. Add the rice, water, and salt to the instant pot.
- Pressure cook the rice for 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, let it slow release for 20 minutes.
- Take the lid off the Instant Pot, fluff the rice up with a fork, and remove from the instant pot.