These bakery-style cookies are packed with strawberry flavor thanks to the crushed freeze-dried strawberries mixed into the cookie dough! Topped with a strawberry cream cheese frosting and, just like the popular strawberry crunch ice cream bars, these strawberry cookies have a golden Oreo and strawberry cookie crunch topping.
Attention Strawberry Lovers: if you’re looking for the biggest, most flavorful fruity cookie with an out-of-this-world strawberry frosting and cookie crumble, then you have found the *perfect* recipe.
These cookies are packed with delicious strawberry flavor with absolutely no fake flavoring! The flavor (and pink hue) comes from the crushed freeze-dried strawberries. They are perfect to celebrate Spring, Easter, or Valentine’s Day!
If you’re looking for another Valentine’s dessert, check out this Red Velvet Loaf Cake, Strawberry Cheesecake Sweet Rolls, or Raspberry White Chocolate Blondies. Looking for more fruity desserts? Check out these Lemon Blueberry Cookies and Buttermilk Lemon Blueberry Scones.
Why You’ll Love These Delicious Cookies
- Giant Cookie – These bakery style cookies are huge! The cookie dough balls are 3 tablespoons each!
- Strawberry Shortcake Crumble – These homemade strawberry crunch cookies are the cookie form of the ice cream strawberry shortcake bars from the ice cream truck! The crumble takes these cookies over the top!
- Chewy Cookies with a Flavorful Frosting – These cookies are chewy and packed with strawberry flavor, not only in the cookie but in the frosting as well!
- Salted Butter – Make sure your butter is at room temperature. If you only have unsalted butter, just add an extra 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Soda
- Freeze-Dried Strawberry Crumbs – Crush them with a food processor until they resemble fine crumbs.
- All-Purpose Flour
For the Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Freeze-Dried Strawberries – Crushed freeze-dried strawberries are added to the frosting.
- Cream Cheese – Use room temperature, softened cream cheese for the best consistency.
- Salted Butter – This also needs to be at room temperature!
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
For the Crumble:
- Golden Oreos
- Freeze-Dried Strawberries
See recipe card for quantities.
Step One: Use a food processor to pulse the freeze-dried strawberries into fine crumbs. Set them aside while you prepare the cookie dough. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step Two: With an electric mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl for about two minutes. Add the vanilla extract and the eggs one at a time while continuously mixing.
Step Three: Add the baking soda and salt to the bowl as you mix. Gradually add the flour. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl to incorporate all the ingredients.
Step Four: Pour in the crushed freeze-dried strawberries and mix until combined.
Step Five: Use a 3-tablespoon cookie scoop or your hands to roll out the cookie dough balls. This recipe makes 10-12 BIG cookies! If you wish to make smaller ones, measure out about 2 teaspoon dough balls. Chill the cookie dough balls in the fridge for 30 minutes before baking. While they are chilling, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the middle is still underbaked. They will bake more on the baking sheet. After 10 minutes, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step Six: Crush the freeze-dried strawberries and set aside. Cream the butter and cream cheese together with an electric mixer. Add the vanilla extract. Gradually add the powdered sugar to the bowl as you mix, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to catch all the dry ingredients.
Step Seven: Pour the crushed freeze-dried strawberries into the frosting bowl and mix them into the frosting.
Step Eight: Pulse the freeze-dried strawberries and Golden Oreo cookies. Frost the cookies with the strawberry cream cheese frosting and sprinkle the strawberry cookie crunch crumbs on top of the cookies. Enjoy!
Hint: If you don’t have a food processor, you can put the freeze-dried strawberries and Golden Oreos in a Ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Food Processor
- Electric Mixer
- Large Bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- Silicone Mat or Parchment Paper
- Cookie Scoop
- Piping Bag – If you wish to pipe the frosting on the cookies instead of spreading it.
Store these cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze the cookies for up to 2 months. Allow them to chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours before transferring them to a Ziploc bag or airtight container. Allow the cookies to come to thaw on the counter at room temperature before eating them.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Strawberry Crunch Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup salted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried strawberries finely crushed, about .5 ounce bag
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounce block cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup salted butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried strawberries finely crushed
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 5 golden Oreos finely crushed
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried strawberries crushed
Make the cookies:
- Pulse the freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor until they are a fine crumb. Set aside. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on medium speed to cream the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar for about two minutes. Add the vanilla extract and then the eggs one at a time while continuously mixing.
- Add the baking soda, salt, and flour to the mixing bowl. Finally, add the crushed freeze-dried strawberries. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to fully incorporate all the ingredients.
- Use your hands or a 3-tablespoon cookie scoop to measure the cookie dough balls (this makes large, bakery-style cookies. If you'd like smaller cookies, measure out 2-teaspoon sized cookie dough balls). Line them up on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet and allow them to chill for 30 minutes before baking.
- While the cookies are chilling, preheat the oven to 350℉. Bake the cookies 3 inches apart to allow room for them to spread. I bake these cookies 4 at a time. Bake for 12-14 minutes. The cookies are done when they start getting golden brown on the outside edges, but the middles are still underbaked. They will bake more on the cookie sheet. Allow them to cool for about 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the frosting:
- Finely crush the freeze-dried strawberries and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the cream cheese and butter for about 2 minutes. Then add the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar to the bowl as you mix. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed, so you can incorporate the dry powdered sugar. Finally, mix in the crushed freeze-dried strawberries.
Make the cookie crumble
- Crush the Golden Oreos and freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor until they resemble a course crumb.
- Frost the cooled cookies and sprinkle the cookie crumb over the frosting. Enjoy!